WEDDING IN BRITTANY, 5 TIPS FOR A LUXURY CAR RENTAL WITH DRIVER
RENTING A CHAUFFEUR-DRIVEN WEDDING CAR FOR YOUR WEDDING IS NOT IMPROVISED.
You can’t do anything and everything about luxury car rental for your wedding! Or at least not with anyone… The regulations regarding the rental of car with driver has evolved and you can no longer use any to drive the car with the driver of the bride and groom… Here are some important tips.
A FAMILY MEMBER
As an alternative to renting a car for your wedding, we often think of a family member or a friend who has kindly offered to be the driver of a day. Rest assured, you can always call on a family member or a friend of yours who owns the car of your dreams. Calling on a family member or friends to drive the bride and groom is not regulated, and fortunately! As long as the benefit is not paid… However, think that the person who will be taking you will not be able to enjoy this wonderful moment.
CAR RENTAL FOR WEDDING ON SPECIALIZED SITES
A Citroen Traction? An American limousine? A Muscle Car? You can find the car of your dreams on the internet: a vintage car, a convertible or a luxury car. It is mainly on this kind of website that you have to be extremely careful. These specialized platforms connect married futures like you and the owners (rarely professionals, 1st problem) original cars (2nd problem), often prized for weddings. But beware, you can’t call on anyone to drive even their own vehicle. These specialized sites for wedding cars do not control all the legal obligations of owners.
SO YOU’RE TAKING GREAT RISKS! Here’s why.
THE LEGAL OBLIGATIONS OF THE PAID DRIVER
Luxury car rental with driver has been regulated for many years, so your driver will have to:
- hold a Professional “Vehicle with Driver” Professional Card issued by the Prefecture following a criminal record check, passing a specific examination, and a periodic medical visit. This card certifies that your driver is a professional who has received specific training in the professional driver’s profession, recognized, organized and controlled by the Ministry in charge of transport and the Chamber of Trades and Crafts.
- be in possession of a Transport Licence. This license certifies that your driver is in good standing, and that his vehicle is reported to the Ministry of Transport. This license is materialized by a round, red macaroon affixed to the bottom left of the windshield (seen from the inside);
- hold a specific “professional liability”insurance policy. This insurance covers you in case of accident and/or injuries, even minor (fall on the descent of the vehicle, blow in case of emergency braking, …). In the event of a more serious accident (rare if it is a professional) no insurance will cover the costs incurred (care, hospital, disability, etc.). Baggage carried may be insured in the event of an incident.
VEHICLE LEGAL OBLIGATIONS
The vehicle used must:
- Wear 2 stickers specifying the required mentions: These stickers are glued inside the windshield in the lower left corner, and at the lower right corner of the rear window. These vignettes are printed by the national printing press and are unfalsifiable. They indicate the driver’s licence number and vehicle registration number.
- have a classic grey card: the so-called “collection” grey cards are reserved for private use. These vehicles cannot be used for commercial purposes.
- pass an annual technical check: a conventional technical check will have to be carried out, the technical control of the vintage vehicles being reserved for vehicles with a “collection” grey card (which are forbidden for commercial use therefore).
1- FOR THE DRIVER
If the driver does not comply with these obligations, he is therefore considered to be illegal worker (or illegal taxi),not covered by insurance. In case of a check (More and more checks are carried out by the DREAL because of this upsurge of amateur drivers) your driver risks: a hefty fine (up to 15,000 euros), a prison sentence, immediate confiscation of the vehicle.
2- FOR THE BRIDE AND GROOM
After a simple traffic stop (between 15 and 45 minutes), by using a concealed worker and/or a driver who does not hold a Professional Card, and/or a vehicle not declared with the Ministry of Transport, and/or without specific insurance, you risk:
- a fine (up to 45,000 euros in criminal cases) and a prison sentence (ArticleL8224-1 of the Labour Code).
- financial consequences of an accident (Article L471-1 of the Social Security Code). The victim (your driver usually found on the internet therefore) could ask you for compensation for the damage suffered, or even the payment of a lifetime pension if he remained disabled.
- A USSRAF remedy for concealed labour (Article L 243-7-7 of the Social Security Code).
- no warranty, no insurance. Indeed, if the door of this wonderful vehicle hangs the bride’s dress for example, a driver who is not in good standing leaves you without recourse.
Put all the chances on your side to make this day exceptional:
- Call on a professional: Compliance with the regulations and safety of transport is ensured by any wedding car rental professional. Call on a local company of preference, solid and recognized: promote the local economy, rent your car with driver with the know-how and experience of an experienced company and guarantee a high quality service.
- ask for a quote: it sets out the terms of the service ordered: the details of the luxury car rental service to be carried out (the program), what the provider must provide you with (brand and model of the vehicle, the options offered, the champagne, the floral decoration of the vehicle according to a defined theme or not) and sets the price of the service to be performed (with a VAT at 10!).
- ask to see photos of services already done: this will allow you to see the service of car rental with driver offered by the provider “in action”, or what your photos might look like with this car.
- Ask to see the vehicle before D-Day: if you have any doubts about the colour, model, or interior space of the model you are looking for, there is nothing better than going there to see for yourself.
- read the reviews on the web: Facebook, TripAdvisor, Google Business page, etc. Take a look at the opinions left by people who have actually experienced this provider, at the heart of the event. Tip: Average ratings displayed can sometimes be skewed by fake accounts or dishonest competitors, don’t just rely on the general rating, read the comments.
Don’t forget that your wedding will be one of the most beautiful moments of your life! Don’t waste it for a few “details”!